You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
Check the IELTS dates, fees and locations.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register one month before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
4. Register online
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the document in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us:
- A photocopy of your identification document (your passport or your ID card) when you register for your test.
Please note that your passport must be valid on the test date. If your passport is not valid at the test day, you won’t be able to take the test and will not get any refund or test transfer. Also please note that you need to bring the same ID that you used for registering
6. Choose your payment options
The test fee is 310 TND. You can pay in one of the following ways:
i) In person at the British Council Tunisia reception desk. If you want to pay in person, we accept:
- Cash (the exact amount only)
- With a cheque made payable to 'British Council'.
ii) If you send someone on your behalf, please make sure you sign the copies of your National ID and Passport. Please email us to firstname.lastname@example.org stating who will come on your behalf with the listed documentation.
Monday from 09.00 - 18.00
Tuesday to Friday from 09.00 - 20.00
Saturday from 10.00 - 18.00
7. Complete your registration
We need to receive all documents and payment fee within three working days of your online registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive them within three working days your application will be cancelled.
You will receive a printed Application Summary at the end of the registration process together with a confirmation letter giving full test details from our desk reception .
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have provided us with all the necessary information.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will contact you two weeks before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information please contact our Exams Services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a 50 TND administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form (download PDF below) along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form (download PDF below).